Goals for All Music Competitions
- To give honor and praise to God for the wonderful gift of music.
- To encourage the study of music among our young people.
- To encourage mastery of performance and musical technique.
- To provide a unique forum for the sharing of music with peers.
- To give recognition to, and praise God for, those who excel in this gift.
The Vocal music competition is open to both soloists and ensembles. An ‘ensemble’ is defined as two or more performers. An accompanist will be allowed if needed.
Contestants will be judged in five categories:
- Intonation and Musical Accuracy
- Diction (pronunciation)
- Breath Control
- Vocal Quality (clear tone)
- Stage Presence (posture, presentation, facial expression)
Awards for Music Competitions
Points Placement Award Division Rating
22-25 First Blue I
17-21 Second II
10-16 Third III
Students are judged on their own performance, not compared to other performers. Awards will be given for blue ribbon winners. The judges’ rating sheets, with valuable comments, will be given to each school at the closing of L.E.S.T. Northwest.
Solo Vocal and Vocal Ensembles
The vocal competition is open to solo and small vocal ensembles (groups). “Ensembles” are made up of two or more singers. Music for the Vocal Ensemble groups should be written in two or more voice parts, (i.e., soprano and alto, etc.), not just in unison. If a piece is written with a piano accompaniment, a piano accompanist must be used.
- Singers should choose music of good quality written primarily for the voice and avoiding contemporary ‘pop’ literature. The music should be memorized and the use of a piano accompanist is required if the music is written for piano and voice. Music given to the judge must be copied in a front/back/booklet format in the running order of the song selection – adding pages to this booklet (if applicable) to avoid any turning back for any repeats that the piece may contain. L.E.S.T. Northwest reserves the right to adjust requirements for this competition from year to year.
- Regarding Scheduling: Scheduled times and performance rooms may need to be adjusted since multiple events will be running concurrently. Singers may appear out of order due to schedule conflicts; please communicate with the judge prior to any performance change so that the events may continue on time. It is very important that the individual registration forms be filled out completely with particular attention being paid to the part where a listing is given of other L.E.S.T. Northwest events in which the individual will be participating. This can help prevent potential conflicts in scheduling performances.
- Because of limited time and performance spaces, the number of participants from each school is limited as follows:
- Schools with enrollment of 75 students or less in grades 5 – 8 may enter eight (8) participants in each grade combination (i.e. – eight in 5th/6th and eight in 7th/8th) for vocal solos and four (4) vocal ensembles for grades 5 – 8.
- Schools with enrollment of more than 75 students in grades 5 – 8 may enter 10 participants in each grade combination (i.e. – 10 in 5th/6th and 10 in 7th/8th) for vocal solos and five (5) vocal ensembles for grades 5 – 8.
Individual adjudication forms should be filled out on the top half and sent in with the L.E.S.T. Northwest Registration Form by December 6. Changes to the name of the pieces to be performed can be made by sending the name of the L.E.S.T. pieces to the L.E.S.T. Northwest Director.
- Any adjudication forms received after December 6 may not be able to be included in the final schedule for participation in L.E.S.T. Northwest.
- The top of the adjudication form needs to be completely filled out.