Goals for All Music Competitions
- To give honor and praise to God for the wonderful gift of music.
- To encourage the study of music among our young people.
- To encourage mastery of performance and musical technique.
- To provide a unique forum for the sharing of music with peers.
- To give recognition to, and praise God for, those who excel in this gift.
Bands will be judged in the following categories.
- Other Performance Factors
Awards for Music Competitions
Points Placement Award Division Rating
22-25 First Blue I
17-21 Second II
10-16 Third III
Bands are judged on their own performance, not compared to other groups. Awards will be given for blue ribbon winners. The judges’ rating sheets, with valuable comments, will be given to each school at the closing of L.E.S.T. Northwest.
Piano, Instrumental, and Instrumental Ensembles
- Regarding the use of Arrangements
Literature played must be written for the instrument and not an arrangement from a different genre (i.e. theme from a piano concerto, movie theme, etc.). Bands may play an arranged piece and be evaluated, but they may not be eligible for an award. Transcriptions of music after the year 1900 are allowed, but these entrants should realize that they are competing against others who play Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Clementi, etc. The decision of the judges is final. LEST Northwest reserves the right to make adjustments on requirements for this competition from year to year.
- About the Schedules
Due to the many unforeseen events, all scheduled times are subject to change. At L.E.S.T. Northwest, multiple events are usually proceeding simultaneously. Outcomes are often unpredictable. The music judges will do their best in preparing and maintaining a schedule. If a band arrives early and is prepared to play, they may be requested to appear before another who is late or is delayed by another L.E.S.T. Northwest event.
- Instruments must be brought by the school. Schools may request to use Good Shepherd’s Handbells/Handchimes instead of bringing their own. Good Shepherd has Malmark bells, and there are standard C3-C8 five octaves of bells and 4 octaves of hand chimes. Please indicate on the registration form if you plan to use Good Shepherd’s handbells/handchimes.
- Music stands and chairs will be provided as needed.
- There is NO EXIT or ENTRANCE during a performance. This behavior is discourteous and disturbing to the performers. Do not bring food or drink into the performing areas.
- There is NO TALKING during a performance. Please keep small children as quiet as possible. We are here to help build everyone up, not provide interference with them doing their best.
- Bands must provide an original piece of their music for the judge. NO PHOTOCOPIES. This is illegal and would violate U.S. Copyright Laws.
- Bands must provide their own accompanist (if needed). Band pieces that were written with an accompaniment must be heard that way.
- Arrive at least 10 minutes early before your scheduled time.
- Memorization of music is strongly encouraged.
- Upon acknowledgement by the judge, each band should begin with the announcement of its school name and location, followed by the title and composer of their piece.
Total time for each performance (a minimum of two pieces) may not exceed 12 minutes.
Details Specific to Handbells / Handchimes / Marimba / Bucket Band
Schools participating in Handbells / Handchimes / Marimba / Bucket Band should send the Handbells / Handchimes / Marimba / Bucket Band Registration Form to the L.E.S.T. Northwest Director by December 6, 2021. Schools will be guaranteed a spot for at least one Handbells / Handchimes / Marimba / Bucket Band group, but can submit registration forms for up to three groups. The additional groups will be included on the performance schedule if there is enough time for each group.
Individual adjudication forms should be filled out on the top half and sent in with the L.E.S.T. Northwest Registration Form by December 6. Changes to the name of the pieces to be played can be made by sending the name of the new pieces to the L.E.S.T. Northwest Director.
- Any adjudication forms received after December 6 might not be able to be included in the final schedule for participation in L.E.S.T. Northwest.
- The top of the adjudication form needs to be completely filled out.